Home Energy Raters uses sophisticated residential energy analysis software to calculate energy loads and consumption for heating, cooling, hot water, lighting, and appliances.
This forecasting tool helps us size mechanical systems and ventilation flows, prior to construction.
“What if” scenarios run prior to construction can provide the following,
• Determine optimum insulation and glazing levels.
• Size heating and cooling systems.
• Size adequate ventilation flows.
• Compare renewable energy strategies.
• Predict and compare the impacts of upgrades and changes.
• Project a pre construction HERS score.
• Supply homebuilders with pre construction code compliance details.
Home Energy Rating System (HERS Rating)
The HERS Index is a scoring system that “rates” a home’s energy usage compared to a code minimum reference home. The details that determine the final HERS score are extracted from the building plans and building performance testing and inspections.
The lower a home’s HERS Index, the more energy efficient it is. A HERS Index of 100, would indicate the home complies with the minimum code requirements while a net zero energy home would score a HERS Index of 0. Each 1-point decrease in the HERS Index corresponds to a 1% reduction in energy consumption compared to the HERS Reference Home. For homes to comply with the new 2012 IECC Energy code a HERS index of 65 or less is required.